Skip to main content

How Boy George very randomly walked into my dreams and made me write again

Some people might find it weird that I like a variety of different music styles and artists, and do not understand how I can listen to some artists and then to some who are so very different from them. It's not for them to understand. It's my interest, my enjoyment, my entertainment. One thing the artists I like have in common is that they went through some very hard times in their lives, and got through it. They also followed their passion for music and put their talent to good use. They show how important it is to not give up. And this kind of message spans genres. For me, an artist who has passion, motivation, and a will to fight means more than someone who is only in it for the fame, for the money, for the compliments.

I only very rarely add to my list of artists I really admire/love/respect and thoroughly enjoy. Sometimes they are artists who have been around for a long time. Recently, I ended up watching a Culture Club video. Of course, I knew about them. Their music was part of my childhood, but I never really cared. I did not understand them for a variety of reason (not starting to speak English until I was eight was one major reason, and having very conservative parents another). At that time I only had eyes for Michael Jackson and Madonna (which I kind of kept a secret). I don't even know how Boy George ended up on my radar. It was very random. But then I started wondering: "Hm, what is that guy doing these days? Is he still alive? Who is he actually?" So I did some - very superficial - "research".

I found out that he was a judge for the current season of "The Voice UK". Usually not my kind of show, but I was curious (and I have no idea why I suddenly cared about Boy George). Fortunately, I could catch up with BBC iPlayer, so I watched the first episode, then the second, the following day the third, and since then I watched it every week. Mainly because of Boy George. I don't know why, but he just makes me happy, and I could listen to him talking for hours (and some of you know how easy I fall in love with voices - and how random this appears to others).

But I still knew nothing about the man. I looked up the Voice Facebook site and saw some vicious comments about him. Some seemed odd to me, about his past. I thought: "I do not really care about his past, but if I want to understand where that hate comes from, I need to learn more." From my experience as a Michael Jackson fan, I knew that there had to be something that makes people talk like this - even if there was no truth to it. I wanted to know what it was about Boy George that outraged some people. I knew nothing. And I never knew more than three or four of his songs.

So I learned more about him, watched some older interviews, and spent one afternoon just taking it all in.
It was a lot to take in.
I now understood why some people don't like him and think he's not a good person, but I do not understand how people can hold on to something that happened in the past for so long, and judge his character so negatively. He could have done worse things. And it's admiring how he got through his addiction, how he overcame what people call his "downfall", and how he managed to come out of it all as such a beautiful character. The first thing I noticed about him when I saw him on the Voice was the sparkle in his eyes, the joy, but also some deep sadness. I was simply intrigued and deeply touched - and did not understand why. He also made me smile, and even laugh - I basically just enjoy seeing him, and hearing him talk. And I am not a person who simply gets enchanted by people. I like animals more, they are just more honest than people.

I am tempted to learn more about him - but I also am not sure whether I should. I care about him the way he is now. Do I need to know more about his past? Is it really important? He wrote two books, but should I read them? On one hand, I think I should, because I'm sure there are some relevant messages in those books that might help me along my own way. Maybe his story is the story I need to learn about to be able to overcome the block I face in my life right now.

All of that research happened yesterday afternoon. This morning, I woke up after a dream I can't really remember. I only know that I had Boy George's eyes in my mind when I woke up and that he was in that dream. I wish I could remember what happened.
I feel like writing a letter to him.
I feel like writing in general.
And you all know how long I have not written on this blog. Last year, I thought my energy was coming back to me, but it was only temporarily.
Will it be different this time?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?