Skip to main content

Some dreams come true faster than you expect - A post about Boy George

Oh yes, it's partially about Boy George. Accept it and read on, or leave. It is up to you. I'm mainly writing this for myself, because writing helps me. You have been warned. This post might at some stage just turn into "Oh my god, I just don't believe it" nonsense.


 Less than one and a half months have passed since I wrote about Boy George, and how he randomly turned up in my life (and dreams). I have listened to a lot of his music since then, and learned more about his life. I'm not finished yet - there's a lot to catch up on. On one hand, I feel sad that I missed his tours and shows - on the other hand, I'm glad that he turned up when he did. It was a rather dark time in my life - still partially is, because life is not easy at the moment, and not one person around me actually notices or cares. I was close to giving up on many of my dreams. I did not write anything, apart from one or the other freelance job to get some money in. And that kind of writing isn't really what I want to do. With every piece I write in someone else's name, about something could care less about, I lose part of my soul.


Then, as described in my other post, Boy George happened. I watched a variety of videos on YouTube, mainly ones from the later part of his music career. Of course, he was incredibly cute when he was younger (and now he's absolutely gorgeous), but his more current voice is the one that seems to have a direct connection to my heart. He also seems to be more the kind of person I would get along with now. Maybe. I have no idea - it's not like I'd ever get the chance to find out. My ideas about him might be totally wrong.

If any of you read my last blog about him, you might remember that I thought about writing a letter to him - I actually did, and enjoyed the process. Though I have no idea whether the letter ever arrived, or whether I even used the right address. But at least I did something I wanted to do, no matter how pointless it seemed to be in other people's eyes. Who cares? It made me feel happier, so it was a good thing to do. Simple as that.

Boy George has a rather interesting effect on me. A certain performance I saw on YouTube made me cry because his voice in that performance was so loaded with emotions, and combined with the way his eyes looked in that video, it was just too beautiful. One of my thoughts was that if I ever saw such a performance live, I'd probably die. After all, how wonderful must his voice sound without being put through so many different channels (e.g. being recorded, then being sent to the internet, and so on)? I don't know much about the science behind sound, but I am sure live would sound even better. Not many people know this, but for some reason certain voices just have a magical effect on me. Boy George has one of those voices - not only when he sings, but also when he talks.

Basically, he gives me hope that you can pick up the pieces again after you have fallen and almost broke completely. And sometimes, you can become better than you have been before your fall. I was wondering whether he'd have the same effect on me in real life, what it would be like to see him in person. Of course, getting to talk to him without other people around would be like a dream - but I am realistic enough to know that there are SOME dreams that are just absolutely impossible. Talking to Boy George outside of dreams is one of them.
Interestingly enough, fate seems to be on my side this time. It looks like I will get to see Boy George on a talk show tomorrow. I'll be in the audience, but I never expected that just on THAT date, HE of all people would be there. When I found out about it, I didn't need coffee for the rest of the day. I still can't believe it. It's tomorrow! It's very unlikely that he'll sing, but starting step by step is probably a good idea. I'm not yet ready for a death via Boy George's voice. I'll get to hear him talk live though. It's unbelievable! So, one of my dreams (the most recent one) actually is about to come true.

The problem is that I am not even sure whether I can call myself a fan. I couldn't see myself as someone standing at a concert, just screaming. I would only want to listen to George's voice. How can people enjoy the quality he delivers when they just scream and screech? There is a place for cheering, of course, but.... if you go to a concert, don't you go to enjoy the music?
Then there are the people who've been following Boy George since I was born (1983). The people who have huge collections and can probably tell you what he did on which day. I am not one of them. Will never be. To me, my appreciation of artists is quite different. Yes, I bought some of his CDs, and am thinking about printing one of my favourite photos of him as a poster to put next to my writing space. I never liked the word fan. Even when I was a Michael Jackson fan, I never liked the word fan to describe my love/admiration for something or someone.

Enough of this now. You've been warned, it's a rather unstructured piece of writing.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kenny Wizz vs Navi vs Ben - Can there be only one #1 Michael Jackson tribute artist?

Last night, I have been to a place called Stevenage to watch a Michael Jackson tribute artist called Ben . He was one of only two UK tribute artists I found interesting and promising enough to spend money on a ticket, transport, and accommodation (it's too difficult to travel back home with public transport at night). Now that I have seen three different Michael Jackson tribute artists in person, I would like to write about what they have in common, what made each of them stand out, and then answer the question: Is there really a number one? Did one of the two UK tributes manage to do something Kenny did not do? If you have read my old writings about Kenny, you know that he's very special (at least to me). I will have a look at their looks, their energy during the performance, the song selection, the costumes, the singing (or lack of it), the moves, the band & the dancers, the overall feel of the concert, and the meet & greet after the shows. In

Seeking and finding motivation - It needs to come from within

I have known for a long time that motivation is something that needs to come from within yourself. At least genuine motivation needs to come from within your own soul - it is the only kind of motivation that will last. Even though I have known this, I found (and still find) it very hard to keep myself motivated, to keep the spark within alive, to not let the world and the people in it kill my dreams. As a writer, I also read a lot. Most books are dedicated to other people, or have some sort of acknowledgment page where authors thank people who support them, people who keep them going, people who motivate them, and so on. For a very long time, I have wished I would have people I could use for these pages. I was wondering whom I would dedicate my books to, whom I would thank. But I could only ever think of fictional and/or famous characters. In real life, there is nobody who supports me with my writing and shows a genuine interest in my ideas or progress (of which there isn't that

Why work harder when there's no reward at all?

I am rather demotivated at the moment. Why work harder than other people if other people in the end get more for less work? Two volunteers who work a lot less than I do (also as a volunteer) get taken to see a castle this weekend, while I have to work. One of those two is being taken to the second castle. He's been taken on a day trip before. While I have been here since November and haven't been taken anywhere once. Usually, volunteers work five hours a day. But because I am really committed to the animals, I usually work six hours, often seven or eight (as a volunteer, so it's not like I get any money for extra hours). So I work more, but get less in return. How is that fair? It's just my life. I often put in so much effort into things, but get nothing in return. I feel like giving up. Why be reliable and hard working if it's just taken for granted? Why put in more effort when people who slack get all the rewards and extra attention?